Wednesday, May 03, 2006

You Can't Keep a Good Man Down

Filed under THIS IS FREAKING AWESOME! comes two stories about wounded warriors who have not only recovered from near-fatal injuries, but are back with their units.

First, a young man I've had the great pleasure to meet and talk to on several occasions, Army Spc. Bryant Jacobs of B Company, 66th Engineers. Bryant had been disposing of IEDs in Iraq for 11 months when he fell victim to one. He had an incredibly long and painful recovery. On January 13th of this year I saw him walking for the first time and my heart nearly burst with joy! The following is from the CENTCOM story, including the photo.

Having come to a point in his life where he wasn’t happy with his job and things didn’t seem to be going well, Jacobs said he entered the military for a career change, and now believes he’s helped make a real difference in Iraq and said that building schools, clearing routes, and improving the way of life for Iraqis has made him proud to be a part of the Army.
Bryant, I can't begin to tell you how proud I am of your service and sacrifice. HOOAH!

The second story begins with a quiz. Do you know who this man is?

Don't look at the second picture! Oh, OK go ahead and look. Yes indeed, its Sgt. Major Brad Kasal, USMC. Photo by Col. B.B. Yarborough, USMC Ret. I found this story over at Deb's site, Marine Corps Moms, and flipped my lid. I have been looking at the picture below for over 6 months now since I tacked it up on the wall in front of my desk. It's horrible and inspiring and really motivates me.


That's a Navy Cross pinned to his shirt, the second highest award for valor and bravery, and he was promoted to Sgt. Major to boot! Please read Deb's post for more from the ceremony and what's been going on in the Sgt. Major's life. He's got a bright future.

Sgt. Major Brad Kasal is not only a hero, he's a SUPER HERO! OORAH!