Saturday, September 03, 2005

A Beautiful Evening at Walter Reed

This was a strange event.

Like most people, I had the destruction and misery caused by hurricane Katrina and the vile thugs who are/were terrorizing the desperate survivors on my mind. I feel helpless, frustrated and angry at the situation, and guilty for not joining with a bunch of really good, nice bloggers who are pointing people to worthwhile charities. I guess I haven't done so because I haven't a clue which ones are going to provide the best bang for the buck. The Red Cross and Salvation Army have very good track records, but I decided to donate to a church Peakah blogged about called The Healing Place Church in Baton Rouge, LA. They are well connected with lots of other churches and are providing shelter, food, debris clearing, you name it - and they are right where the action is needed. BTW Peakah, you should list yourself and the Church on TTBL - you've already got 1 donor :)

Like last week, I popped Nick and Jr in the CD player and headed downtown. Traffic was strangely light and I arrived at the gates about a quarter past 6. Several Freeps were there already and I was quickly put to work setting up stuff. The commie Code Pinks started to arrive and to my dismay they occupied both corners flanking the entrance to Walter Reed. It seems our success last week galvanized their resolve to be as asinine as possible and they got a permit to use two corners. Ratfinks.














These are the commie pinkos. The woman with the "No Redeployments" poster is Gail Murphy, who I'm told is the ringleader.








I believe we outnumbered them, but I didn't get a final head-count. I met some more of the Freepers that I didn't get a chance to talk to last week. They are all such nice folks and the atmosphere is more like a backyard barbecue than a rally. Except for the posters, scores of flags, the MOAB (Mother Of All Banners), and the necessity of countering the despicable message voiced by a gang of commie-pinko-'tards whose real goal is the destruction of the U.S. Military and thereby the whole country. How do people get so stupid? Panama Red?

We had a couple of Vets come out and thank us for being there. Obviously, they were showered with thanks and praise from everyone on our side of the street!

There was no bus returning from Fran O'Brien's with wounded warriors tonight, but we stayed until almost 10 anyway. We got the job done.

Next week should be interesting. I hope more people living around the D.C. area will come down to Walter Reed and let the injured troops know how much their sacrifice is appreciated on the eve of our 4th anniversary of 9/11.