Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Has NASCAR gone NFL?

I was REALLY DISAPPOINTED with this weekend's Daytona 500, and not just 'cause it was a pretty boring race. There was at most 5 seconds of recognition for the military and that included the 2 second shot of the Color Guard and 3 seconds of the beautiful F/A-22 Raptors flying overhead. That's it!!!

I didn't get to watch the Super Bowl, but have heard/read several places that there was no tribute to the Troops at all during the game. The Daytona 500, and all other NASCAR races, have been the places where I knew I'd be treated to some kind of honoring of our national heroes. Not any more it seems.

You'd think after spending $38 million in sponsorship fees that NASCAR would at least say "thanks" to the Pentagon with a token spot. Maybe its just NBC? Will FOX do a better job when it takes over at the halfway point? I'm not holding my breath.

Takin' a look around, they don't seem to have noticed over at That's Racing, and a Yahoo search doesn't come up with squat.

Time to start writing emails...