Tuesday, August 16, 2005

That's My President, HOOAH!


This story from WAPO writer Dana Milbank is almost a year old now, but it has stuck with me ever since I saw Blackfive's post. Amidst the constant barage of 24/7 Cindy Sheehan "news" I keep seeing Pres. Bush on that plane making sure every Guard member knows how grateful he is.

"May God bless you all," the commander in chief said over the plane's public address system. "May God keep you safe." As he worked his way up and down the plane's aisles, posing for photographs, signing autographs and shaking hands, the happily surprised troops called out to him.

"That's my president, hooah!" shouted Sgt. Wanda Dabbs, 22, a member of the 230th Area Support Group, a Guard unit from Tennessee. Others seconded her cheer.


Sure, it was almost election time and many saw this as a stunt. I think Bush would have done the same if the opportunity arose today. It's going to take a lot more than Mikey Maroon has in his arsenal to get this image out of my head.