Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Live 8 wants my face?

"We don't want your money, we want your face!"
from the Live8.com home page

"By doubling aid, fully cancelling debt, and delivering trade justice for Africa, the G8 could change the future for millions of men, women and children."
Sir Bob Geldof from Live8.com

Soooo, no Live Aid like phone banks waiting to take my pledge or donation? You just want my face or voice to join the chorus of thousands demanding that America loosen her purse strings. Ummm...NO!

It seems that Sir Bob learned his lessons some years ago when he discovered how hard it is to get aid to people who really need it, and not into the pockets of thugs and dictators. Unfortunately, he saw how hard it would be to really change things, and just decided to give up. Not give up demanding money (he must continue to look like he cares!!) but just give up asking for individual donations. Money he gets from the little people must be spent wisely and accounted for, with Sir Bob being the responsible party. Getting money from the government, on the other hand, is free of consequences for him personally. Government money is funny-money, like in Monopoly.

Some soundbites I heard from the concerts sounded like the same old song and dance. "America is stingy, America is cheap, blah, blah, blah, waaaahhhh!" I didn't hear anyone saying "Mgabe must go!" Would have been nice.

Some bloggers, Like Frank J. and Lt Smash, are kindof on board with Sir Bob. I say "kindof" 'cause I think they are skeptical as well. I think I'll hang on to my face for a while.